Men's Lacrosse: Cody Marquis
Sacred Heart University’s senior attacker Cody Marquis appeared in all 13 games as a freshman for the men’s lacrosse team, while making three starts up top. Marquis finished third on the team in scoring with 17 total points. With a respectable freshman season in the books, the future looked bright for Marquis and the Pioneers.
Flash-forward three years later and Marquis started all 14 games, rather than just appearing in each game, and finished third on the team with 24 goals and second with 41 points in the regular season.
Marquis couldn’t help but reflect on a memorable career after the Pioneers Senior Day victory against Mount St. Mary’s on Saturday.
“It’s definitely been a long four years, but to have a great season my senior year makes everything worth it,” Marquis said. “Coach Basti and the coaching staff have done a great job making us buy into the system and work together.”
His hat trick against Providence on March 8 is an example of his energy and ability to come through in the clutch. Marquis has always shown that ability throughout his Pioneer career.
“I’d say just have fun with it. We know we can play with any team in the league and, when we play our best, it’s really fun to watch,” said Marquis.
With Marquis being a senior, the notion of his collegiate playing days being numbered is one that he is certainly not taking for granted.
“Just being in the locker room and knowing you are going to see your best friends everyday and working towards a championship with your best friends is really something to appreciate,” said Marquis. “I’m definitely going to miss that next year.”
With that being said, the savvy veteran leader is not about to change what he frequently contributes to the team on a daily basis.
“I’d say energy and experience, helping the younger guys is something we tried to focus on so they can feel comfortable next year when playing and bringing energy to practice everyday is huge, and kids feed off that. So, as a senior, it’s really important to have a great day everyday,” said Marquis.
Freshman teammate Ryan O’Donoghue spoke volumes of how the seniors have embraced him and other newcomers on the team.
“They’re always there for us, they treat us all the same and they are the reason why the team is so close...because the seniors encourage everyone to be themselves and thrive as one,” said O’Donoghue.
O’Donoghue is also cognisant of how much it would mean to the dedicated seniors like Marquis to display all the improvements they have made en route to making the program better.
“They’ve had a rough couple of years, and we’ve realized the great things they’ve been able to accomplish and we want to send them out the right way for putting us in the position that we’re in,” said O’Donoghue.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Spectrum News Articles
Recent The Spectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SPECTRUM NEWS
RECENT THE SPECTRUM CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections