New Creamery on Campus
After several months of set backs, the new ice cream parlor, The Walnut Beach Creamery, officially opened its doors on Jan. 23 in Roncalli Hall.
This is the first ice cream shop at Sacred Heart University and although there are many unique varieties of custom ice cream, students are puzzled as to why the parlor is located near the new gym.
“It’s an interesting combination to have a gym next to an ice cream parlor because it is very contradicting,” said sophomore Scott Barrese. “After you workout, you can give yourself a treat or you can get some ice cream and then work it off.”
Students question its placement in Roncalli in general.
“I wish it were in the McMahon building instead of across the street,” said junior Biana Boudreau.
Despite the frigid weather, the shop was crowded with students waiting for their ice cream.
“I love going to the creamery after dinner; especially picking a flavor from the great variety,” said sophomore Brooke Colombo. “Many students and faculty go to the creamery and I think it is a great addition to the campus.”
Walnut Beach Creamery is the first ever entrepreneurship managed by students in the business program. The staff consists of freshman through senior students seeking the knowledge of how to run a business.
This hands-on experience will help the students learn how to deal with sales, employees, finance, inventory and customers. It will also give students a chance to view real-life business.
The staff is divided up into three main sections, including two interns, eleven Welch scholars, and 12 “point-of-sales” employees seeking the guidance of the managers and knowledge of business applicable work.
Among the Welch Scholars, other majors such as social media, community outreach, human resources, and finance work in committees dealing with the overall structure of the Walnut Beach Creamery.
The ice cream is ordered straight from Susan Patrick’s own Walnut Beach Creamery in Milford, Conn.
The Walnut Beach Creamery does not accept the SHU Card. You can get three scoops for $3.00 with your option of a cup, regular cone or waffle cone. Flavors consist of “Big Red Velvet,” “Rollin’ in the Dough,” “Father Jerry Berry,” and “Nutty Professor.” The creamery has various toppings to add to the ice cream.
Sacred Heart students should expect to see milkshakes being added to the menu in the near future.
The Walnut Beach Creamery is open Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Spectrum News Articles
Recent The Spectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SPECTRUM NEWS
RECENT THE SPECTRUM CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership