Hoops with Heart
In the summer of 2008 the Sacred Heart University athletic community suffered a heartbreaking loss. Four-year member of the women's basketball team, Lisa Moray, lost her life in a car accident.
Lisa was an incredibly important member of the women's basketball team during her four years here at Sacred Heart. Not only was she a member of the 2006 NEC Championship Team, but she helped lead the Pioneers to a record 26 season wins. She was also responsible for taking Sacred Heart to their first ever NCAA tournament and set a recorded at for a Pioneer by hitting 69 three-pointers in a season.
Sacred Heart instantly found ways to honor her passion, commitment and over all positive influence on the university. Her number was retired for the school, her teammates wear an ‘11' on their jerseys to remember her presence and several presentations were made in her honor.
However the biggest dedication that the university has made for her is the development of the Lisa Moray Foundation.
Lisa was an incredibly important member of the women's basketball team during her four years here at Sacred Heart.
Started in January of 2009, a fund was established by her friends, family and teammates, to remember her spirit and her legacy she left at Sacred Heart. The fund was developed to help female athletes who demonstrate many of the qualities that Lisa embodied herself; commitment to sportsmanship and teamwork as well as showing exceptional academic potential and being in need of financial assistance.
Since its development there have been multiple fundraising opportunities. Bumper stickers have been sold at different basketballs basketball games and all proceeds 50/50 raffles at the sporting evens go to the fund as well.
However the biggest fund raising event is the Athlete Auction.
Yes, you read that right, every spring for the past three years, one to two members of every varsity athletic team on campus is volunteered to be auctioned of to the rest of the Sacred Heart Community.
In addition to an all around hilarious night of comedic bios, theme songs and cat walks, the winning bidders earn a dinner with their athlete at Vazzy's. Not to mention all of the proceeds go straight into the Lisa Moray Foundation.
In the past the night has included special guest appearances by Big Red, routines with hockey sticks and lacrosse sticks, amazing costumes, crazy dance moves and every year without fail, there is a special athlete who provokes a bidding war that has reached up to a record breaking $250!
Although this years time and date has not been made public, as soon as it does make sure that you clear your schedule for that evening. It is definitely something that you DO NOT want to miss, especially when the proceeds go to such a deserving and worth-while cause.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Spectrum News Articles
Recent The Spectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SPECTRUM NEWS
RECENT THE SPECTRUM CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge