Simon Cowell brings ‘X-Factor’ to America
He was the judge that kept the country talking on "American Idol," and soon, America will be buzzing about Simon Cowell soon again. This time, however, the competition is bigger and the stakes are much higher.
After years of serving as a judge on "Idol," Cowell is bringing the British singing reality competition, "The X-Factor" to the states starting this fall. The mega-hit overseas averages 12 million viewers per episode, as Fox40.com reports, and similar to "Idol," has an age limit regarding contestants, only this time contestants need to be 12-years-old or older.
"I like the idea that a 12-year-old on this show can compete with an older singer and a singing group," said Cowell to E! Online. "I've never believed there should be a cut-off age for talent."
As former "X-Factor" contestant and winner Leona Lewis had to, all contestants need to make it through the "boot camp" rounds to secure spots in the top 12, who then perform live to receive audiences votes each weeks, as per CNN Entertainment.
Though it may seem both "Idol" and "X-Factor" are identical singing competitions, "X-Factor" differs as it offers the winner not only the title, but a five million dollar recording contract with Cowell's SyCo record label, which happens to be the largest prize a contestant will receive on a reality show, as per E! Online.
With American audiences already tuning into reality shows, such as "America's Got Talent," resembling both "Idol" and "X-Factor" as well, some Sacred Heart University students believe this may hurt the British import's U.S. success.
"I think it's annoying because there is already ‘American Idol.' It seems like it's just another spinoff," said freshman Christina Mingione.
Although Mingione has her doubts, freshman Julia Manning thinks the variety of contestants will give the show a little something extra.
"They are similar but I think more people will watch because it's all ages," said Manning.
Much like the suspense surrounding the announcement of season 10's "Idol" judges, the question still remains as to who will sit beside Cowell on the judge's panel, which already has the rumor mill churning.
Though L.A. Reid, the man responsible for the musical success of Mariah Carey, Pink, Rihanna, Kanye West and Justin Bieber is set to serve as a judge, as The Daily Mail Reports, there is still a vacancy at the judge's table.
The Examiner reports that names like Fergie, Demi Lovato, former "Idol" judge Paula Abdul, and British pop star Cheryl Cole have been thrown into the mix, but nothing is official as of recent.
"I like Fergie. She makes good music and a lot of people will respect her music decisions," said freshman Brittany Robotti. "I liked Paula Abdul on ‘Idol' though."
Robotti may like the long list of names potentially vying for a judging spot thus far, but Manning believes one other celeb should put her name on the list as someone she would like to see at the judge's table.
"Someone who is really honest. Madonna would be a good one for that," said Manning.
Though the secrecy surrounding the judges may be one mystery surrounding "The X-Factor," the other is to why Cowell ultimately chose to bring the British hit "across the pond."
"I believe that America has the best talent in the world," said Cowell on the official website of "The X-Factor." "I believe that with all my heart."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Spectrum News Articles
Recent The Spectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SPECTRUM NEWS
RECENT THE SPECTRUM CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists