You never know
“There is one word in America that says it all and that one word is ‘you never know.’”
That quote comes from Joaquin Andujar, a Dominican starting pitcher and four-time All-Star who pitched primarily in the 1980’s.
Although Andujar was born in San Pedro de Macoris in 1952, “you never know” remains universal vernacular.
This phrase applies no better than to you, the Sacred Heart University student.
If you’re asking what the hell do I know, that’s a fair question.
As a student in Sacred Heart’s University College, which caters to adults who (try) to juggle school with life, just trust me here – I know what I’m talking about.
Sparing the seemingly scripted details that have brought me to this point in my life, I’ve been around the block and have seen more than a thing or two.
Sorry for all the clichés, but, honestly, you never know.
When I graduated high school at 18 years of age, I had no clue what the future held, nor did I care. I followed the crowd and went to college. I picked Stetson University in Florida because, well, it was in Florida, and I majored in communications.
Maybe I could do play-by-play for the Yankees in four years – you never know.
After the Stetson administration informed me that I was no longer welcome, I came back home, and I was cold, still am. I enrolled at Housatonic Community College in Bridgeport and majored in journalism, being as it sounded better than any other off-shoot of their communications program.
This is the first “you never know” in my journey through academia.
I must admit, I was terribly indifferent at first. I could handle the writing aspect, but adhering to deadlines (still) and the actual process of reporting was a drag. As I grew as a person, so did I as a journalist – you never know.
When given the opportunity to attend broadcasting school, I did, graduating and putting it in my back pocket as I slowly began to explore my future options and keep things open – you never know.
I went back to Housatonic to finish, graduating with an Associate’s Degree in journalism – you never know.
At this point, I wasn’t keeping doors ajar, I was actively forcing them open.
When it looked as if a job or a lesser college were my only two options, and I was fine with that, I found Sacred Heart and University College. Seizing the opportunity, I fully immersed myself in all I could handle – you never know.
I started writing for The Spectrum as soon as possible, eventually becoming Sports Editor. I am an editor for the Pioneer Magazine, have a short story in Horizons, write about Sacred Heart sports for the Connecticut Post, and have worked with two other sports-related blogs. As a media studies major, I have taken advantage of all the program has to offer; getting a chance to, among others, broadcast sporting events, experience the writing to editing process of multimedia projects, and network with many in the business – you never know.
This is just an extremely brief snapshot of a longtime, with nearly a lifetime of ups and downs outside the classroom mercifully omitted, but I’m just trying to make a point.12
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Spectrum News Articles
Recent The Spectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE SPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SPECTRUM NEWS
RECENT THE SPECTRUM CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
- 5 Seasonal Invaders and How to Keep Them Out in the Cold
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World